Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Self Worth

The well-known company, "Dove" has recently come out with a commercial promoting their products.  The commercial typically features a celebrity telling their story.  At the end of the commercial the celebrity states Dove's new slogan, "I am {filling in the celeb's name} and I am comfortable in my own skin".

This commercial has got me thinking, and If truth be told, we all know that at some time in our lives we have not felt "comfortable in our own skin".  And if that celebrity were to be brutally honest with themselves, I guarantee they would say the same thing.

Self worth is a huge issue among our society, and perhaps even more prominent among women.  We desire to be loved, accepted, successful, and simply know we are worth something to someone.  We often look to jobs, relationships, extra-curricular activities, kids, etc. to fill that hole of self worth.

The reality is, none of those can actually fill that void.  You see, in Christ we have the ultimate love and acceptance. It's like no other.  If you are His, then you are loved and accepted by the Most High God and that is more than anyone or any earthly thing could ever offer.

Like the rest of the human race, self worth and acceptance is something I have battled all my life.  My foundation for life is built upon Christ, but when I struggle is when my focus shifts off of Christ and onto meaningless things. 

Christ is the my everything.  All I could ever need or want is found solely in Him.

Are you comfortable in your own skin?

No comments:

Post a Comment